I've waited to post pictures from our trip because I haven't had the words to say what I'd like to say to caption those pictures. I'm still not sure exactly how to put what I'm feeling into words. How do you express how overwhelmed and thankful you are? How do you put into words the feeling of living out your prayers?
The first year Adam and I took this trip, we kind of just went, randomly. We'd been married for two years at this point. We didn't know what we'd do when we got up there; we just rented a cabin and went. The first morning, we went to eat breakfast in town. Someone told us about a huge festival that happened to be that same weekend. We didn't have any plans, so we thought we'd go check it out. (Well, I probably begged and Adam agreed to go). I wish I'd gotten our picture that year, but I don't think I did. Anyways, it was a good trip. We didn't know it at the time, but only two weeks later we'd decide to start trying to get pregnant.
We enjoyed our trip so much that we decided to go back the following year. We'd been married for three years. This year was a little different from the last. I was now taking hormones to help us get pregnant since our attempts had been unsuccessful. At this point, I was completely frustrated with the whole process. It had only been a year, but it seemed like ten. I even took tests up there with us because it would "be time" for me to check. We went to the same festival we'd gone to the previous year and had a great time, but there was a part of me that ached every time a pregnant belly walked by or every time we saw a booth selling cute stuff for babies and kids. We visited one vendor that sold hand stamped jewelry. Adam bought me a necklace from them that has been very special to me ever since. I picked out each piece and had it customized: a charm with our initials along with the phrase "love story", our anniversary date on one of them, a heart stamped on another. We walked away from that tent with my new necklace hanging around my neck and I looked at Adam and said, "I hope one day we can add our baby's name to this necklace."
There was another tent that I specifically remember. They sold hand painted, wooden crafts for kids' rooms. I, obviously, did not have a baby, but I walked through anyways. I looked at the door hangers with hand painted names and the wooden bow holders. I thought to myself, "I hope...pray that one day I can come back and buy something for my baby from this tent!" We went back to the cabin that day and sat by the river. I journaled, trying to get all of my feelings out on to paper-the sadness, the anger and frustration. On the last day of our trip, I got up early that morning, eager to take a test. I was devastated; another negative. I didn't know it at the time, but I'd only have a few more months of waiting. We got pregnant with Ava towards the end of that December.

The next day, we went to the huge festival! It was so surreal to be walking around that same festival two years later with a baby in a stroller. It was there, two years ago, that I was begging God for a
baby (and had been for almost a year at the time). The thing I was most excited about was adding Ava's name and birthday to my necklace. We started down the rows of tents and went back and forth, looking at each of them. The jewelry girls weren't set up in the same place they were two years ago. In fact, they weren't out in the open with majority of the vendors, so Adam and I assumed they hadn't come this year. We made our way to look at the tents under the covered area and I was so surprised to see their booth! I picked out two charms--one for Ava's name and one for her birthday and had them added to my necklace. I treasured it before, but it's even more special now. We walked over to more
tents and I was shocked that the same vendor was there selling hand painted wooden crafts for kids' rooms. I just can't even explain how crazy it felt to be in the same place looking at the same things, but with different circumstance. God heard my cries. He answered my prayers. He gave us one of the greatest gifts. Every time I put her to sleep or got her up from a nap or saw her playing in the floor in the cabin, I just thanked God for His blessing.
I thanked him for hearing me. I thanked him for being so gracious to me. I picked out a bow holder from that tent to hang in Ava's room. It will not only serve the purpose of holding her bows, but it's also a reminder to me of God's faithfulness, his goodness, his love, his grace. He held me and walked with me through what has been one of the hardest times of my life.
We made our way home today and I watched Ava sleep. And I just kept saying, "Thank you, God. Thank you." You didn't have to answer my prayer. You didn't have to bless us with a child. I could've waited longer than I did. I'm just so thankful and grateful for my baby girl and God teaches me more about his love for me through my love for her.

No comments:
Post a Comment