Wednesday, October 29

Things No One Told Me

I sat in the glider in my baby's nursery. I held her to my chest and tears streamed down my face. "Why didn't anyone tell me it would be like this?"

No one told me this mommy thing was such hard work.
No one told me she may not be a good napper.
No one told me she may fight sleep.
No one told me she may not follow the "eat, wake, sleep" routine...or any routine for that matter.
No one told me she may be feisty and have a temper. (Yes, at only 5 weeks)
No one told me how awful it is to watch your baby cry out in pain.
No one told me how helpless I would feel when I can't make that pain go away.
No one told me just how long a baby is capable of crying for.
No one told me that sometimes, no matter what I do, she will keep crying....and crying.
No one told me that the crying would make me feel like I'm going to lose my mind.
No one told me there would be days when I'm not sure if I've brushed my teeth...or peed...or eaten.
No one told me how difficult it is to be home with a baby all-day-long.
No one told me how exhausted I would be.

But thankfully...

No one told me how sweet her skin would smell.
No one told me how soft her skin would feel.
No one told me how little her fingers and toes would be.
No one told me how kissable those tiny lips are.
No one told me she really would look like an angel when she sleeps.
No one told me how long I could just stare at her.
No one told me how sweet her snuggles would be.
No one told me how it would feel when her big blue eyes stare into mine.
No one told me how interesting it would be to watch her discover the world around her.
No one told me how perfectly she would fit in my arms and on my chest.
No one told me how much I would want to protect her and keep her safe.
No one told me how fiercely I could love this tiny person that I hardly know anything about.

...because even on the days that bring me to tears, I'm so happy I have her.


1 comment:

  1. She is beautiful Cason, just like her momma! She is a precious gift from God :)

    ReplyDelete