Wednesday, July 20

Health Kick

I've recently got on my own little "health kick". I am trying to eat more fruits and vegetables! I like a lot of fruits, but am not a fan of vegetables. In fact, the only "vegetables" I eat are fried okra and ...potatoes-if those are even vegetables. I think they are considered a starch! Anyways, I went to the store yesterday and bought a lot of different fruits and vegetables because I had found some smoothie recipes online that I wanted to try. Apparently you can add veggies into a smoothie with fruit and you can't even taste it. So, I wanted to give it a try!

Carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, apples, bananas, strawberries, blueberries,
applesauce, yogurt, apple juice & cranberry juice
So the first smoothie recipe I tried was:
  • 1 cup apple juice
  • 1 cup of sliced apple (sweet tasting apples are better)
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup sliced carrots
  • 1/2 cup of cucumber (peeled and sliced)
  • 2 cups of ice
  • a dash of nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)   recipe can be found here


The above ingredients + a blender = .........


Ta Da!! "Sweet Veggie Smoothie"

This smoothie wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great. I could make myself drink it to get in my servings of fruits and veggies each day. But, I am a texture kind of girl and the texture of this "smoothie" wasn't very smooth. What I mean is it felt like I was drinking applesauce. It made enough for two glasses, so I poured one glass (yesterday) and stuck the rest in the freezer. This afternoon I took out the frozen leftovers to thaw out and when I got home from the gym it was really good because it was cold and icy! Other than that, I pretty much forced myself to drink the glass yesterday.... only because of the texture! The taste was fine. It was very apple-ly! I will probably end up making another one, like I said, just to get in my fruits and veggies. More to come on new things I am trying!

Until my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment