Wednesday, May 16

Something That's Blogworthy

It wasn't like every other Sunday where I just sit and listen. Yes, I confess, lately I have just been going through the motions. Sunday school, church, singing the songs without really paying attention to the words coming out of my mouth, bowing my head to pray, but having a million other thoughts running through my head-some of you are with me. This past Sunday I heard something that stuck with me. Beth Moore Jr. (I'm not sure if she really likes when people compare her to B.M) started teaching on Romans 8. You need to know that before she started teaching preaching I had asked everyone to pray for me and my job situation- for peace & wisdom. Remember this, it's important! We went through verse 6: For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. We talked about how 'death' isn't necessarily referring to physical death, but how when you are controlled by 'fleshly' things, you are killing certain things in your life. Some of you may be confused--this is what I mean: when your mind is consumed with thoughts of pride, anger, jealousy, doubting God, etc, then you are essentially killing parts of your spiritual life that are necessary. You can kill relationships. You can kill your joy. You can kill fellowship with God. And if your letting the flesh control you, you probably won't be bearing any fruit, well not any of the good kind(Romans 6:21)! The list could go on and on about what is put to death when we are controlled by the flesh. But the end of that verse says the mind controlled by the Spirit has life and peace. So on the other hand, if I am showing love, compassion, patience, and humility, I will experience life and peace. I can experience this through freedom in my own life from whatever it may be that was holding me down before. I will have right relationships with my friends, family, and co-workers. I'll have a right relationship with Christ. I'll bear the Spirit and His fruit. And The list goes on. Now, I've written all of that to get to what I actually want to share with you! God spoke to me Sunday morning. I knew I wasn't where I wanted or needed to be in my relationship with him. I knew I would spend time studying and memorizing Romans 8 this week, just like Stephanie encouraged us to (yes, I said memorizing. the whole chapter. And yes she is crazy awesome!) I went into church, my heart so heavy, feeling God's presence weighing on me. I couldn't even get the words out to one of the songs. I just sat and looked at them, thinking about the meaning of them and thankful for their truth.
Here I am, humbled by your Majesty, covered by your grace so free. Here I stand, knowing I'm a sinful man, covered by the blood of the lamb.
So Monday morning when I sat down to dig deeper into Romans 8, I realized something. I can't have peace (my prayer request) until I'm controlled by the Spirit. Having peace is 'easy' and I use that word lightly. He's given me everything I need, it's not something I have to search or wait for. When I'm focused on the things of God then peace comes as a result. Thats what I've done this week. In the mornings I sit down, open my bible, read and study and throughout the day I try to be intentional about being controlled by the Spirit. I have been waiting for God to give me peace, as if it would just fall out of the sky and hit me, but he has given me his word. It's up to me to dig through it and seek him. Reading the Bible and thinking about different verses reminds me that God is who he says he is and he will do what he says he's gonna do. And that gives me peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment