I recently posted about how I am an avid skygazer. I wrote about how God often shows me things when I sit and watch the sky at sunrise or sunset. Tonight, Adam and I sit on our back porch and watch that huge ball of fire appear as if it's falling off the face of the earth. He says, "No clouds in the sky. Not much of a sunset tonight, baby." I think about what he says and here's what I notice... The sun rises and falls every day. It doesn't depend on anything in order to do its job. Some evenings it sets with puffy clouds scattered about, reflecting brilliant colors onto them as it tucks away for the night. Some evenings, much like tonight, it sets with no clouds at all, shining brilliantly all on its own. Either way it's still the sun. Still powerful. Still bright and brilliant. It doesn't need the clouds in order to set, but when they're there, the sky is prettier and it draws more attention.
I say all of that to say this. God is kind of like the sun and we (Christians) are the clouds. When in the right place, we reflect his character. When in the right place, God's love, joy, peace and grace can be seen by others in our lives. No, He doesn't need us in order to be God, in order to be seen or heard. But some people learn more about Him through watching those who call themselves Christians than they do sitting through church services every Sunday. I know this is central Georgia, but not everyone goes to church. Don't be shocked. To some people, we are the only display of who God is. Yes we are still human and make mistakes, but we should be reflecting Jesus in our lives if we know him and have a relationship with him. So, I challenge you (as I am challenging myself) to think about what that means as you go to work or school each day. As you go to Wal-Mart and out to eat. What are you reflecting in your life?
Until my next post..
No comments:
Post a Comment