The night before race day. You pick out your dri fit top and make sure you have running shorts to match (well, at least I do, Fashionista much?!)... Will it be chilly enough for leggings? Make sure you have both shoes. IPod fully charged. Headphones, check. Matching headband, check (again, Diva). Set your alarm. Some even carb up at meal time, or just pig out and use that as an excuse to do so (this girl). Attempt to get a good night of sleep.
The morning of race day. Crawl out of bed. Get dressed. Gear up. Pick up your friends. Head to the race. You pull up on the scene, silently scoping out the competition, looking for people you assume will be in your age group. These are the ones you want to keep your eye on. Get in line for the porter potty, stand around in a circle and stretch or just complain about how cold and rainy it is. Then it's time. You make your way to the starting line. Some of you stay together, while others part, knowing we will meet again at the finish line. The announcer goes over all of the blah, blah, blah, stuff I don't have to worry because I won't be leading the pack and don't have to worry about the pace car. Headphones in. Jams turned up. I really didn't want to be there because honestly I haven't run in quite a while and I just wasn't feeling it (yesterday). Cold + rain, for me = a nice day to lay around in comfy clothes on my couch, not get up at 5:45, drive an hour and go run 3.1, but hey, I'm here. I might as well do my best, or at least run fast so I can hurry up and be finished! It almost seems silly to drive all that way just to run 3 miles, which seems like a warm up these days. (It hasn't always been that way for me!) Here's more on my running journey, if you're bored :) But, there's something about a race, no matter the distance, that is addictive (in the most spiritual way). The horn goes off and the race is under way....
Now, If you're a runner or have ever run a race before, you can relate to this.. there is always a point in every race where all of a sudden, you are running alone. I'm not sure how it happens. You think, "Where did all the runners go?" As you look ahead, you think "How will I ever catch up with those people?" And as you run alone, you wonder, "Where is everyone? I know they're back there somewhere." For me this happened yesterday at about the 2 mile mark. I only have about a mile left to run. My breathing is a little out of control because, like I said, it has been a while since I've run, but I start thinking to myself (and saying out loud as I sometimes do), "One mile, c'mon you can do this! This is nothing! You got it." And I start to think about how this last little bit of the race can be related to my life. (I've been doing that a lot lately) Anyways, I start thinking about how I want to finish this race. I want to do well. Because, really, when you're a runner, your competition isn't the long legged 20-something year old girl that you assume is in your age group. You aren't really there to beat her. You are racing against yourself. There's something about running that compels you to do your personal best and a rush that comes when you do (beat your previous times). I want to finish this race well, literally (on race day) and metaphorically (in life). Sometimes, during the race, it seems like your alone, tired, unsure if you can finish, not to mention finish well. As is life... spiritually, those who have a relationship with God, we go through times where we feel alone, tired, unsure if we can finish, not to mention finish well. But, it's during those times we have to remember that God is always with us, even when it doesn't feel like it. He's on our side. He's fighting for us, always. He's our cheerleader, saying, "You can do this, I've got you. I know what's up ahead. Just keep pushing and I will give you strength to take on whatever you face."
So, as all these things run through my mind, I have zoned out, and before I know it, I'm close to the finish. With only a few tenths of a mile left, I pull out my headphones and am now audibly encouraging myself (and the man beside me) "You're right there. Push. You've got this." To my surprise, he starts saying, "C'mon girl, we've got this. Let's go." The finish line is in sight. The clock reads 27:15. Say whaaa? I exclaim (to my stranger man racing buddy), "Oh my gosh, my best time!" We finish together. High fives. I'm pumped. Runner's high for sure. (You get this if you are a runner)
Anyways, I'm not sure if there has been a clear point to this post, but lastly I will say this... As I run my best time (27:27), ever, for the short amount of time I have called myself a runner, I come away with a few thoughts. In life, I want to do my best. I want to put my efforts and energy into things that matter, things that will have weight in eternity. I want to invest in things that will last, not things that will be blown or washed away. When the road I'm going down seems long and endless, I will remember that there is a great God who is on my side. He is cheering me on. He is my strength, my comfort and my peace. He is enough. He is my all. I want to finish well and as long as I keep my eyes focused on him, I will.
Until my next post...
No comments:
Post a Comment